I have an electric fence around the horses, and on a short section of cattle pasture that we have yet to put up a new fence. It runs off the electrical outlet, and is grounded good, and is very hot. I was working close to it a few years ago, forgot about it, and bent over to pick something up and touched it with my head. The jolt I got was literally so hard that it knocked me on my back, and left me with the top of head burning. The next day, my blood pressure shot up, and I was hurting throughout my head and neck. I did some research, and my symptoms were like those of whiplash. I always figured that when it knocked me back, it jolted my neck, causing a mild whiplash. It was about 2 weeks before I started feeling better.

When I was a kid, my grandfather had a stroke that left him partially paralyzed. He could grab an electric fence, and hold it with his hand, feel the fence , and tell if it was working or not. One morning he'd walked across the yard and a heavy dew had gotten his shoes wet. He was grounded pretty good when he tested that fence, and it knocked the crap out of him. I can still hear him hollering, almost 60 years later..........lol.

I've seen some fences so powerful that they'd kill a bird if it was grounded just right. I've also seen snakes that crawled up on an electric fence and got fried. An electric fence, properly grounded, is nothing to mess around with.