Originally Posted by las
96, I see... Paul didn't get it right until '98.

I agree that the 1898 style actions are an improvement over pre-1898 style actions, but the Sweds made a great action, the best of the pre-1898 style actions IMO, and the only thing that they don't do as well as the 1898 style actions is handle escaping gas because of the smaller gas shield.

I've rebarreled at least a dozen Swedish Mausers and prefer the late production Husqvarnas made in the 1940's for higher pressure cartridges than the 6.5x55. There are three things that I always do on the reworked Sweds; replace the trigger with a Bold or Timney that has an integral safety, install a larger, commercial style, gas shield, and a Dayton-Traister Cock-On-Opening kit. I currently have 8 small ring Sweds, 6 military actions and 2 commercial Husqvarna 640s, that are chambered in 257 Roberts, 6.5x55 (x5), and 8x57 (x2).

I don't recall ever having the problem that the OP is having, but wonder if the Sweds that Kimber sporterized were disassembled and put back together with a mix of parts from different rifles.