Originally Posted by teal
Wondering if someone makes a nice wood/blue bold action .22 lr these days?

For some reason I seem to think Kimber did back in the day - maybe it was Cooper.

Does anyone still anymore?

Something like a Kimber Super America type of wood/rig?

There have been a lot of good suggestions so far but to a degree you need to decide its intended usage and go from there. As mentioned the CZ 452 is very good for the money, although they usually require a trigger kit to make the trigger acceptable. Moving up the price ladder the Rem 541 T or S are generally good shooters although one needs to exercise a little care when buying one because some of the final production 541T's did not have an adjustable trigger. After that it is Anschutz, many different models so there needs to be a lot of homework done before purchasing, then Kimber and Cooper which fall in the same price range as the 54 actioned Anschutz sporter.

When choosing a sporter rifles to me handling quality is the major factor in my decision - the best thing of course is to handle the various ones and you will have a better idea of handling quality. A rifle that groups well from a bench does not necessarily have the right attributes for a hunting or plinking rifle.

I have really had good luck with the CZ 452 American as far as accuracy but the pistol grip on it does not work for me at all and they are ill balanced with too much weight to the rear of the stock .

The Rem 541 T & S models have one of the best feeling stock designs and they balance extremely well and most are very accurate, but are becoming quite expensive for what they are and the magazines can be problematic.

Anschutz - there are so many different sporter models and stock configurations that it is almost imperative to handle one to see if it will work for you - generally speaking they all shoot good but the 64 based sporters have a stock design that just doesn't work well for me and they are generally light enough that they handle "feathery". The 54 based sporters handle much better and the stock design works better for me.

Kimber and Cooper - both work extremely well for me - a good combination of grip geometry, weight, and balance.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.