I have moulds for both styles (tumble lube and conventional lube) of 155 gr., .312 rifle bullets that Lee offers. I originally was planning to cast for a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 that I used to have. I already possess the Lee, press mounted sizer in .311" which does not use a top punch and which also does not lube the bullet.

I'm curious if I can get away with using the .311" Lee sizer to run either of these bullets through my bolt action. 300 Blackout? I realize that one would typically size the bullet approximately 1-2 thousandths over bore size, nominally a .308" in this case, (No, I haven't slugged to bore and currently lack a good micrometer to do so, so I have to go with the .308" bore assumption). I should mention that these 2 bullets differ somewhat in that 1 is a tumble lube design and one is conventional. Both are gas check designs.

The conventional design has a pretty short bearing surface and I'm wondering if I can get away with using it at .311" at moderate velocities in the blackout. I would still have to figure out a way to lube it - probably pan lubing and then cutting the bullet from the hardened pan of lube.

The alternative is ordering a .309" sizing die for my lubrisizer and a corresponding top punch. If I go this route I would need advice on which top punch to use. Going the lubrisizer and top punch route also means putting this project off until I get some money rolling back in after getting back to work.

I know I'm rambling on, and basically spilling my thoughts out on this matter, but I'm BORED and find myself with a lot of time for stuff like this. Thanks for reading and for any constructive advice.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile