Originally Posted by milespatton
Ive been loading for 35 years and have never loaded a bullet without a powder charge! I inspect every cartridge with a light after Im done charging.

I do this also, but how would you check when using a progressive press? That is the only way that I have had a powderless pistol bullet and that was a one time only. I do not know why it happened, but do know that the powder hopper did not run dry. I am thankful that it lodged and locked up the cylinder, and did not go far enough to let me fire again. I was shooting in a bowling pin shoot, with earmuffs on, concentrating on speed and accuracy, with another pistol firing nearby, and did not realize that it did fire correctly until I could not shoot again. I would like to know how to keep this from happening with certainty, but have no clue how. I have done some experimenting with weighing finished rounds, but with cast bullets, and light powder, it would be kinda hit and miss, and very time consuming. miles

Just check by looking at the powder charge. If you can't see it, change position so you can. For light loads in deep cases, it helps a lot to use a bulkier powder; this is the main reason I don't like powders like TiteGroup.

I visually verify the powder charge in every round the goes through my presses, whether single stage or progressive.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/08/20.