Originally Posted by TraderVic
I've been considering an Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge for awhile now. For upland hunting at my age, I want a gun that's on the lighter side.

The Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge weighs 6.8 lbs and the 12 gauge weighs 7.6 lbs ( Ithaca Model 37 Specs ). Which one are you considering ?

7.6 pounds is far from a LW upland shotgun and 6.8 pounds isn't much better...For LW and a 37 you should be looking at an older 16gauge aluminum receiver Featherlight which goes around 5 3/4 pounds.....The new Ohio Ithaca 28Gauge is the best of the bunch if you are willing to go 28gauge....

As far as adding weight here and there to make it into a skeet or sporting clays gun and the fact one hates recoil. ... you can add a little lead to the stock, a little in the magazine tube, a few strips of lead to the barrel.....It all is still a little to maintain some semblance of balance....and not enough to have any significant reduction of recoil.....Skeet and Sporting shotguns that don't recoil all that much are almost universally not pump guns and they tend to go 8pounds plus and make poor upland shotguns....way it is....

Last edited by battue; 04/12/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler