But, to temper God's argument (I've always been an agnostic, at best), with today's bullets being infinitely better than what was available 100 years ago (to whit, Barnes TSX for example) a case can be made that the old warnings don't apply as universally as they did back then. As recently as a generation ago, .22 centerfires were relegated virtually strictly to varmint/small game hunting because of the behavior of their highly frangible bullets fired at very high velocity. That world has now been turned completely upside down thanks to wondrous advances in bullet technology. Heavy-for-caliber and stoutly constructed or by virtue of monometal construction- it doesn't matter how that's achieved, but what does matter is that you are better equipped for all-around .22 usage than your father was.

I would however, still refrain from shooting moose/mooses/meese, or anything else monstrously huge and/or capable of stomping/eating me with a .22 HP (or a Swift, .22-250, or .22 Creedmoor for that matter).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty