Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by memtb
Well Brad, my wife has been killing elk since 1974. And has used....243’s, 264 WM’s, 270 Win’s and the .338 WM. She is quite competent with her .338 WM, and has no desire to use a lesser cartridge for elk, moose, bear, etc! So, she has experience ....and much prefers the “magnum”! memtb

So the elk didn't die with her 270?

Yes, several died! In fact with the proper conditions, a .22 rim fire can very effectively kill an elk....but, that doesn’t make it a “proper” choice! Overall, she’s merely had much better and faster results with the .338 WM. We’re all entitled to our opinions, often formed by years of experiences....both good and bad! Obviously, most any cartridge can kill an elk.....with proper placement of the projectile. Some hunters can effectively use a magnum cartridge....and some cannot. To each his or her own.....only the shooter/hunter can make the determination what is best for them! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024