I have zero experience with Remington 700s. However I will relate 2 accidents involving them that I know personally. In the first situation, there was some sort of AD that caused major and long term head damage to a young hunter in our community about 1 1/2 years ago. The young man was found by his father, air-lifted to a major hospital out of our area where after a very long rehab he returned home. Nobody will ever know the details causing this accident. While numerous things could have caused this terrible accident, the second case was very clearly known. A very good friend of mine had his discharge when he took the safety off. He had purchased his rifle new many years ago. He's a once a year deer hunter who probably shoots his rifle 2-3 times before season to check its zero. I know this man very, very well: very responsible, very mature, and very honest. As he is a retired auto mechanic of many years, he certainly has the ability to disassemble and adjust triggers, safeties, etc. I asked him specifically if he had messed with trigger or safety. He had not.

Aside from the numerous reports I've read, these 2 accidents alone have caused me to strongly discourage anyone contemplating purchasing a 700 from doing so. While I am not a fan of the 700 action design, it is for these accidents and the many other reports of similar ones that causes me to feel the way I do.