Originally Posted by MMM
@mike454 - awesome, thanks! I did a little searching of the net but I was not able to find anything about the incident. I am not that great at searching. That is a great article, although the telling is a little different, it is interesting that Elmer does not infer foul play the way he did in Hell I was There. In the article he acknowledges that the guy who shot Strong was trailing an elk cow; that is not mentioned in the book. Presumably the two other guys were still living in 1926 and almost certainly not when Hell I Was There came out in 1979 (I think).

I like the way he ascribes most hunting accidents to city slickers, and I love the story of the New Yorker who shot the Yellowstone rancher's mule! Thanks for posting the article.

IIRC in "Hell, I Was There", EK wrote that the two men who were with him and Mr. Strong were the State of Montana Treasurer and the Treasurer's senior accountant or clerk. EK wrote that Strong suspected them of embezzling while he was away, serving during WW1 and that he was killed to hide the crime.