Originally Posted by Bobber257
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I do both...find that cases with the same head stamp can vary a lot...from different lots. Just try to eliminate variables. Also anneal after two reloads. Again, for consistency.
But I like to tinker. Do I get better results, depends on your out look. It has a positive effect on me, and as a hand loader, I started doing this to make better ammo than I could buy. I believe I`m still succeeding. So for me, it`s worth the effort.

I’m in the same camp except I anneal after every three firings. I’ve also encountered considerable weight variations between lots with the same headstamp. Federal brass is the worst offender for this. I’ve seen as much as a 15 gr. difference between lots. I’ve found Remington to be quite consistent. I have 3 different lots of PPU 7x57 that average exactly the same. Can’t beat that.👍 Can’t speak for Winchester - quit using that stuff years ago.

I do both also. I've done quite a bit checking accuracy and velocity. Every round I fire at the range is over an Oehler. I've even got some records on the effects on velocity, which increases on the heavier brass. One comparison I remember well was on 338WM brass. The European brass was 17g heavier than the American brass and that was enough difference to equal one grain of the same propellant. Plus or minus 1 grain of variance in brass has little effect, but it does have effect. On smaller brass that much difference will be more pronounced.

I anneal every 4 reloads. I also did quite a bit of checking its effect. My second reloads after annealing were always the most accurate after which accuracy would start diminishing.

Last edited by Bob338; 04/22/20.

Used to be bobski, member since '01