Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Windfall that was my line of thinking also as well as comments in user reviews saying the variable speed model was easier on the battery and made it last longer. The boat I wanted it for is an S-16 Lund 1984 model with the 15" transom. Cabela's had the 5 speed one for 235 and the variable speed one for 289 with $25 rebate from Minn Kota. So after some outdoor rewards credit and the rebate I'll be into it for $266.40 . I went to scheels first and they didn"t have the 55 #motor just the 50# ones and blew smoke up my butt trying to tell me it wasn't going to make any difference,user review comments indicated the opposite. I bought the 36" shaft because of my 15" transom should be ok. MB

Well i dont feel he was far off regarding the performance difference of the two.
I actually have 3 Minn Kotas, one being a 40# thrust i use mostly on a 12’ cartop type aluminum boat.
But i also use it sometimes on my 17’ fiberglass boat attached to a retractable bracket on the stern.
Reason being that i can sit in the back of the boat when trolling rather than up front where the other electric motor is.
And even the 40# thrust motor works well at moving that boat along at far more than enough speed.