I believe there is a piece of the puzzle missing here.....and that's the old tried and true .30-06.. I've been to Africa twice and haven't cared to hunt the big bears of Alaska but have been followed by a "griz" while hinting on horseback in Wyoming. No.....I wasn't forced to defend myself but the guide said to be prepared. I had a .30-06 on that mule deer hunt and wasn't at all concerned about the effectiveness of the .30-06 (loaded smartly with 180 grain accubonds)

So, in my book the stating point is the .30-06 and from there we look upward.

I've built a .338-06 and a .35 Whelen and also built a 9.3X62 and just to make things fun, I also built a .375 H&H. Most of this is a matter of talk as the only thing I've used any of these guns for is to kill a very nice whitetail buck in Wisconsin at well past 350 yards with the .375 H&H.

There is an old saying: Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as "too much gun". This, I believe, as having been amongst them I can attest to the immense threat an elephant can pose simply by being there! So given absolutely no experience hunting anything requiring more than a .30-06 I'm comfortable that for me if "it" requires more than a .30-06, the next real step up is the .375 H&H. Yes, there is no argument that the .338 and the .35 Whelen and the 9.3 X 62 are powerful rounds, but the .30-06 is also a powerful round. If we want to step up, let us not take baby steps.....lets get the .375 and go hunting..

I'm sure many here will take issue with this but in my mind it makes good sense!