In the past three decades that I have been paying attention to rifles, walnut was the norm with almost all factory rifles, they the plastic "tupperware" stocks became fashion as the accountants could see more profits from a finished stock coming from a mold instead of a blank that needed layers of fit and finishing. Next I observed McMillan and Manners becoming the norm, not the exception. At one time, I owned five Win 70 Supergrades, I couldn't resist the nicely grained stocks of such affordable rifles. In the end, I sold them off as my interest moved to other areas but they were very nice for the money. Wayne, you mentioned Dakota Arms in your article and I had the good fortune to live in a town at the time that had a nice gun shop with a full inventory to DA 76 rifles and single shots as well. I never owned one but I got to handle and have a close look and they were exceptional. The smith who assembled most of my rifles is a member of the ACGG and I got to see first hand some of his work. I consider blued steel and walnut to represent the artistry of the trade and will always appreciate heirloom grade firearms. Thanks Wayne for the interesting and informative article.