The skill, timing and experience of the surgeon is critical. So is the skill, experience and patience of the Physical Therapist. Do whatever you can to help yourself, including listening to your body and your professionals. Ask questions when appropriate, but be absolutely dedicated to healing.

About five or six years ago the soreness finally told me to get something done. The MRI showed that I had a torn ligament, some arthritis and bursitis, and bone spurs in my shoulder. Probably too many preg checks. My Orthopedist was an old friend and didn't hesitate to recommend surgical repair on a 70-something patient. He was right. My Therapist was diligent and insurance was adequate. Totally mended in about 90 days. Then about a year later I got into a wreck with a steer and went down HARD on that elbow, heard something pop. I dreaded the diagnosis; the X rays showed the shoulder just fine, but a broken collar bone.

I sent the surgeon another thank you note.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.