Honey HalfLab in her 3.5 years has never let her feet leave the bottom. She had no idea she could swim, until yesterday, and judging from the panic on her face, she doesn't like it. smile. Even with a PFD on.

Well, the water is still cold- ice on the banks, air temps below freezing at night.

We were doing a short float trip (two days, 11.5 hours on the water) in the Achilles inflatable before the rocks and skeeters came out too badly. I pulled into the bank behind a big rock for a whizz and told the dogs to stay in the boat. She snuck her front feet out onto the rock, with apparently no clue as to what often happens in such situation...

Unlike my first Lab 40 years ago who knew exactly what was going to happen when it got too late to get his front back in the canoe (His eyes just got bigger and bigger!), and stayed mad at me for two days for telling my wife about it, and laughing.

We were both expecting the 13 month old Dachshund, Choco, to go swimming. He likes to run the floats-gunnels - and had he been up there when we rock-bounced several times, he would have.

Everyone had PFDs on..

I need more expertise in avoiding rocks, especially in multiples. Only got hung up twice tho - and one of those neither of us saw. Stealth rock! Bounced maybe 6 times.

Did I say I was on the oars about 90% of the time? "Float"? HA! I have decided I am not too old for this crap - but I just got too smart for it. smile.

At least for a year....

Last edited by las; 05/08/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.