I don't do a traditional boil but do boil shrimp. I have used various types of commercial crab and shrimp boils. Shrimp don't take on a lot of flavor if you cook them right. Really about three or four minutes at a good boil is all they need. When I boil shrimp I use whatever boil mix I happen to grab have not found one I like over another. I am typically boiling no more than a couple pounds. I will use about double the seasoning that is recommended. In addition to the crab boil I do about a couple teaspoons of caraway seed and a lemon per pound of shrimp. Bring to a hard boil for about five minutes. Turn off let steep for about twenty minutes. Return to boil add shrimp. As soon as they are pink and curled up pull them out. They will be tasty but very mildly seasoned. To kick up the flavor I give a toss in seasoned butter, do the same with grilled shrimp. Very good.

For the butter mix. Stick of butter for a couple pounds of shrimp couple table spoons olive oil. Three to four generous tablespoons of chopped garlic. Teaspoon to two of anise seed. Half teaspoon to tablespoon of red pepper flakes depending on the heat you want. Heat the oil and butter on med low heat. Add the garlic. Cook gently want to soften the garlic but not brown it. Once soft turn up the heat. Once you got a good sizzle add the anise and red pepper. Quick toss for a minute or so then shut the heat down to super low.Want to keep warm but not cook it. Let sit about twenty minutes. Once you pull your shrimp from the boil or off the grill turn the butter up to high heat. Drop the shrimp in quick toss or two to coat shut the heat off.

Last edited by mike7mm08; 05/10/20.