Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by noKnees
... The RT-QPCR COVID test has a fairly high false negative rate, mostly due to its sensitivity ( or more precisely its lack of it). The test can tell you that you have the virus, but cannot definitively tell you that you are clear.

My understanding, there are three major categories of tests for Covid. All three have their strong points and challenges. Not sure what category of test the KY Health Dept is using, other than it is a nasal swab. I've done the best I can do with the resources available to me at the moment. Time to move on... smile

There are a couple of ways to collect the sample, basically different nasal swabs but all the tests are RT-QPCR tests which are variants of the basic CDC test found here.

https://www.fda.gov/media/134922/download

The collections may be more of less effective at recovering virus, but the test that follows has a limit of sensitivity. This is what the guidelines say about the results.

•Negative results do not preclude 2019-nCoV infection and should not be used as the sole basis for treatment or other patient management decisions. Optimum specimen types and timing for peak viral levels during infections caused by 2019-nCoV have not been determined. Collection of multiple specimens (types and time points) from the same patient may be necessary to detect the virus.
•A false negative result may occur if a specimen is improperly collected, transported or handled. False negative results may also occur if amplification inhibitors are present in the specimen or if inadequate numbers of organisms are present in the specimen.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge