Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm concerned about the possible environmental impact in the U.S. and have questions about whether it is our best interest.

The Keystone XL is intended for transporting Canadian tar sand crude to refineries in the U.S., right?

Why can't the Canadians refine their own dirty crude for domestic use and for export via Canadian ports?

What is the benefit to the U.S.?

If it isn’t carried by pipeline it’s going to be transported by truck or rail which is more likely to spill, etc

As to the benefits to the US, don’t you think we’re going to benefit from any of the following

-millions in easement payments to landowners which will be reinvested in local economies
-thousand of jobs for engineers, equipment operators and welders who will build the pipeline
-thousands of jobs for the pipe yard workers, longshoreman and truckers who will take the pipe and material to the site
-the thousands of jobs in the refineries that will turn it into gas, diesel and plastics
-the thousand of other jobs that will in turn be supported by these workers spending the wages they made at the pipeline or the plant
-the chit load in local school and property taxes those refinieries, pipeline and plants will pay
-the profits in ordinary people’s 401k/pension from owning stock in the pipeline company or the refinery that takes a product that sells for $40/barrel and turns it into a product that sells for $150 or more a barrel.

Been a while since I’ve had an economics class but I don’t see how this can be anything but a good thing for us workers and the us economy