I picked up a nice 1895 in 30.06 that is a takedown model made in 1925 from Cabelas after selling them a semiretired aluminum chassis target tacticool rifle. Got the rifle cleaned up with Frontier 45 and 2 days of wipe out in the barrel getting some of the brightest blue patches I’ve ever seen.

Took it to my hunting lease test range and fired it. I was 6 inches high at 600 and 4 inches left. Been away from open sights since I hung up my service rifle competition ARs 10 years ago. Typical mid fifties eye focus issues...

Looking at the rifle closely, I can see that it had a Lyman 21 on it at some point based on the fading on the receiver bluing. Can see the outline of the sight on the receiver blue. The front sight is too high and I had the buckhorn sight down on the barrel. I believe when the Lyman was removed they left the tall front bead sight on. The front is drifted right noticeably which explains the left shift.

Took it out last night anyway for an evening pig hunt thinking I’ll hold “under” if I get a shot. After dark, I switched over to the thermal rifle, no pigs.

This 95 will be used hunting for still and stalking pig hunts with ranges 50 to 100 yards. 90% will be still hunting over feeders and some spot and stalk.

I need to sort out the sight situation.

Do I add a reproduction 21 from Buffalo? I used aperture rear sights in matches and probably still have so merit master disks, also have so AR hoods that I actually used with a lease in the hood. Never used an aperature in a hunting situation.
Should I get a larger and shorter front bead and stay with the standard rear sight?
What combination works with aging eyes?

Your feedback is appreciated.