The nice thing about a truck camper is you can drop the camper and be on your way in your pickup quite fast these days with the electric jacks..The bad is room..A small Class C has more room..I just sold a 21ft bumper to bumper Class C..Basically the same thing as a truck camper but with more room but you can't drop the camper part..Pulling a small trailer works and you have the pickup bed for gear,fifth wheels are usually nicer and bigger but you give up part of the bed for stuff...Class A's just don't make sense for an outdoorsman anymore IMHO because there just to big and low to the ground...

As mentioned above,if you get a truck camper make sure you get enough truck under it,most of these new truck campers will put you over weight even in a 1-ton single rear wheel(SRW) with 4000# of payload once your loaded and ready to camp..Dual rear wheels(DRW) are better and much more stable..

In my opinion,there is not a better way to travel than with a small Class C and i have owned every RV type..