Originally Posted by RayF
I’ve used a Weber Smokey Mountain for so long that it’s allowed me to change my fantasy smoker 3 times.

The value of a BGE is the insulation. That damn thing is so efficient, you virtually never have to add charcoal. That’s one thing about my WSM that makes me want to move on. Depending on the outside temp, I may have to refill twice when I’m smoking a butt. That’s 3 fills. I even made a mini-smoke house for it in the winter. I have a Digi-Q that keeps it rock steady at any temp I want, but it’s still no BGE.

After seeing a friend’s puck smoker, I considered that, but those pellets and pucks seem proprietary to me. I’ve never used anything but lump, but if lump isn’t available, I could use briquettes.

The one that currently has my eye is the offset. No bowl to clean and you don’t have to worry about fat dripping on the coals and making the meat bitter.

Wow, my 18” WSM will rock on for 8-10 hours no problem at 250-275 without me ever touching it. I usually put one chimney of unlit Kingsford charcoal in it, make kind of a hole in the middle and put 25-30 lit briquettes in the hole, throw a few chunks of wood on top in different spots, assembly it and let her rip. It’s ready for meat 10-15 minutes. I also never use water in the pan but always wrap it in foil and leave it in.

Thought about a BGE many times but really just don’t see the need. My only complaint with the WSM is its too small sometimes and 3 racks of baby backs is all I can fit on the top rack. Don’t the lower rack much.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin