Thanks Mike for the info on the D. I expected some of that but not all, thanks! I talked to tal35 awhile today, and he gave me a lot of valuable info on the 23 as well. I've had several offers of early-style parts come my way, still sorting out what will work and what won't. Prices are all over the map as well, I guess parts are scarce but so is demand, so there aren't really any trends.

I need to add to my post above on what I thought was different and what was the same.

I had been under the mistaken impression that Savage retooled a lot of things at S/N 204,048 and that the early model / late model stuff all began and ended at that S/N. Stock, magazine type, trigger guard, speed lock / speed bolt, removal of cocking piece from rear of bolt, drilling and tapping for side scope mount and the top of the receiver, etc.

Apparently this isn't the case. These things do change as the rifle matures, and some of them did happen at that S/N, but it seems like not all of them did.

I do know that the late receivers won't accept early model bolts, and vice versa. Tal35 checked that out for me and said there were issues with the ejectors being in the way at minimum. Also, the receivers themselves are different, with additional cuts in the late receiver for the sear pin, and it looks like the forward action screw is in a different location.

I'm also not sure about my earlier statement that the bolt function changes to cock-on-opening in the late models. I saw that a couple places online and repeated it here, but I'm going to hold my tongue on that now. I hope to have my hands on a complete early model rifle in a couple weeks, and I'll add more then.

It looks like my trip to find the proper late parts will indeed be a long one. smile If no one minds, I'll just keep adding to this thread as time goes by and I find parts or have questions / discoveries.