Originally Posted by Yondering
Here's a quick visual on using the Brownells action rod:

Breaker bar in the vise. I made my own breaker bar to fit the vise, but an ordinary breaker bar or even a 1/2" drive ratchet can be used the same way.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Action rod on the breaker bar. The bottom of the rod fits the 1/2" square drive, top of the rod fits the hardened locking lugs in the barrel extension. Note I've pressed and machined a large nut on mine so I can also use it to lap receivers square; they don't come that way from Brownells.

Receiver and barrel on the action rod. The torque on the barrel nut is transmitted through the barrel and barrel extension to the action rod, and not through the upper receiver. You can use this tool with optics still in place on the receiver if desired, like for muzzle device installation, and will never break or shear a barrel extension pin with this method.

Good stuff yondering. I have a question though. How are you using that armorers wrench on that particular barrel nut? That appears to be a proprietary barrel nut much like the Troy barrel nut, or maybe it's just a standard size? The reason I ask is because after I bought my Performance center 6.5 Creedmoor, I got it home and checked everything and found the handguard to be loose. Upon further inspection, I found the barrel nut was loose. I tried to use the funky armorers tool I have, but nothing I tried worked for that barrel nut. I decided I'd cut out my own tool so that I could properly torque down the barrel and take the damn thing to the range:

Like some have said here, some manufactures make you have to buy their tool to remove the barrel nut. I was a little pizzed at Troy industries for making such an odd ball barrel nut that takes a special wrench. Hell, even my Noveske's just take an open end wrench (27mm or 1 1/16") to remove the barrel nut.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA