Hello, my brother.

We never met, but I know you. I could be like you, but for the chance of grace or the grace of chance. Instead, I stand here on this side of that long black wall, while you are on the other.

From that place that joined us, the place that made us brothers, I returned in the Freedom Bird, and you returned in a flag-draped box. But we are brothers.

Now I stand here, my fingers tracing the engraved letters that you share with far too many. I wonder if you feel that touch and if you know what I feel from it. The pride, the honor and the satisfaction of serving, of pledging all that I am or will be; those things and more reflect back at me from that burnished stone. The awe of what we knew, of what we saw, of what we tried to accomplish; those things reflect from me – I hope – to those who will follow us.

I come here not to weep, although I do so freely. I come here not to remember, although I do so all too freely. I come here not with bitterness or anger or even sadness. I come here…simply to be with you once again. I come to say the things that were never said to us when we needed to hear them. And yet a million million words would not be enough to repair the hurt we felt at not hearing those things. And so, my brother, I come here with only two.

Thank you.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.