Originally Posted by beretzs
My old man is a non-looney rifleman. He bought a Browning BAR 30-06 sometime back in the late 80's and used 180 grain Core Lokts for hunting deer. When we started hunting bigger animals such as elk and moose he tried the Federal 180 grain Partitions. They shot better than the old Remingtons he used, so he bought a case of the ammo, around the early 90's. He still has a few boxes of it left, even though he doesn't do much other than deer hunting, but the rifle is only shot a couple times, if that per year at a 200 yard target and just hunted. He's taken moose, elk, caribou, deer, black bear and whatever else with it. He doesn't know the Partition isn't the latest and greatest, he just knows it works really well for him and he considers 350 yards a LONG way. So, if I was looking for one factory load, I'd probably try a 180 Partition or Accubond myself and if it shoots, buy up as much as you can afford to keep you running.

Kinda the beauty of the 30-06, you can buy a case of ammo, for not much money and be ultimately effective for just about anything... I am not sure what I would do with the extra time though grin

He sounds like a wise, common-sense, practical man, Sorta makes all this gack irrelevant, doesn't it?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.