Originally Posted by gophergunner
I have a good friend who is a heavy equipment operator and did lots of road work down in southern Ohio. He said they encountered lots of family burial plots out in the middle of nowhere and had to go through official channels to get them moved. If you go south on 11 out of Canfield heading down into the hill country and watch off to the sides, just outside the fences, you'll see markers from family plots that had to be moved due to the road construction.

That's everywhere. Families often buried their loved ones on their farm, instead of buying a plot in a cemetery. There were four or five family plots I can think of, within a mile of my Dad's Missouri farm, and those are just the ones I know about.

When Ft. Knox was being aquired, the gov't bought up a LOT of land, including several small towns and churchgrounds. IIRC, there are 32 cemeteries on Ft. Knox alone, and Knox allows them to be serviced on Memorial Day, and allows families to clean up and maintain the gravesites.in perpetuity. Damned decent of them, really. I think Knox absorbed six or seven small towns and who knows how many churches.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.