In my limited experience, zebra is usually a top choice of African animals to be pursued, and taken. Looking through my old notes, I realized I had shot fourteen zebra. More than half of these were not shot as trophies, but rather as meat for the local councils. (Usually, zebra or buffalo were requested by the councils for celebrations.) Since I had shot a good number of these animals, I discovered I had shot three with a .308Win, three with a .375H&H, and three with a .416Taylor. Now I don't have a lot of empirical data, only three each shot using these three different calibers. The rifles were model 70's. Factory ammunition for the .308Win was Federal Premium 180gr Nosler partition. Factory ammunition for the.375H&H was Barnes X 270gr . Hand loaded 400gr Swift A-Frame for the .416 Taylor.

Consider the following: All nine of these zebra were not running, and were virtually broadside, shot placement was on the "sergeant" stripe, distance between 80-100yds. Obviously, these nine zebra were shot in different locations, on different days.

Results: Two of the zebra shot with the .308Win fell within ten yards of where they were shot, the third flinched, and took three steps, stumbled, and fell over. The three zebra shot with the .375H&H fell within twenty yards. Two of the zebra shot with the .416Taylor dropped in their tracks, and one ran about fifty yards, and fell dead. None of these nine zebra required a follow-up killing shot.

Which of these rifle/bullet combinations was the most effective? The results were the same for each combination. Best choice...you be the judge.

Bullet placement was/is the great equalizer. Bell had it figured out a long time ago.