Regarding IMR 4350 in my old Remington 700, I used it in a deer load and with 100 grain Partitions. My deer load was (if memory serves) 50 grains of IMR 4350 under the long-since discontinued 120 grain Hornady hollow point. That gave me about 3,000 fps and was deadly on NY State bucks. I tried IMR 4350 with 100 grain Partitions, too. I can't remember if I used 52 or 53 grains, but the load was extremely accurate and would have made an excellent deer load. Velocity was around 3,250 fps. It was a hot load, especially in the summertime.

I used IMR 4831, and later H 4831, as pressured didn't rise as quickly with those powders. Remember, I was shooting woodchucks in summer heat. My varmint loads weren't maximum, and even the mild loads at 3,200 fps were plenty at the distances we shot back then. As I remember, both the 87 and 90 grain Sierras would blow right through a chuck leaving a fist-size hole about every time. However, I recall one time when I shot a very big chuck - probably over 12 lbs - with the 90 grain Sierra. The bullet never exited, and the chuck looked like an over-inflated volley ball.

These days I shoot smaller 25s. I have two 250 Savages, one a lever action 99 with 1 in 14" twist and the other a bolt gun with 1 in 10" twist. The 99 shoots those 90 grain Sierra hollow point boat tails like it was made for them, but it won't shoot 100 grain bullets worth beans. The 25 I really like these days is another Savage - an Axis rifle with an E.R. Shaw barrel in 257 Roberts. It will push a 117 grain bullet to about 2,900 fps with far less recoil than a 25-06, and for an old man with a bum right shoulder, that's a good thing. I still love my 25 caliber rifles.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter