I’ve converted two bikes. One is a tandem converted to a cargo bike. It uses a motor called a stokemonkey, you have to pedal and use a throttle to manually assist. You do not lose the front chainrings and it climbs like a goat. I am thinking the payload limit is about 500 lbs easily.

The other bike is a ‘95 Specialized Stumpjumper with a 1000 Watt Bafang mid-drive motor driven at 1400 W max. You can see these kits on, for instance, Lunacycle.com. The mid-drive on the very light Stumpjumper is a hoot. It will throw you off the back if you’re not careful. I ended up taming the controller a bit so I wasn’t popping wheelies all the time. The mid-drive has a throttle and/or pedal assist.

Either conversion kit including battery pack will set you back about $1000.

I do not know that you can get a commercial ebike with a throttle. You couldn’t 4 years ago. Maybe that has changed.

If you really want to get crazy, look into Cyclone motors.

EndlessSphere discussion website has a lot of good advice from experienced ebike folks. I learned a lot there.

ETA: in duck’s thread, I said the bafang w/ 42? Tooth chainring would get me to 23 mph. I put on my road tires the other day and got to 34 mph.

Last edited by huskyrunner; 06/03/20.