I need to load a couple of hundred rounds for a son-in-law that lives a few hundred miles away. He has an S&W 686, knows nothing about firearms, and can't get loaded ammo, hence the request. While I'm a long time rifle reloader, my handgun reloading has been somewhat limited through the years. It happens I have quite a few pistol powders and I can't tell you why since I only reload for my 9's, 38/357's and 44 mags. I do have a Dillon XL650.

He got a bunch of cast 210g SWC's, source unknown, best I can tell from photos. He's also order some Berry's 215 plated. I have no experience with plated bullets. I have tons of unopened 1# and 4# cans of Red Dot, Clays, 3N37 (4#), Blue Dot, H110 and H4227. I'd like to load up a few rounds for him to try, running them at about 1000fps. While I have a chronograph, getting together with him to try out might be a problem. I'd prefer to use the 3N37 and the Blue Dot since I have about 6# of those but I've been unable to come up with any published loads. I've read of the problems with Blue Dot but I believe that's related to cold and full house loads. All his shooting will be in mild temperatures so I have no concerns with that.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions for mild loads with particularly those two propellants, but for any of the others I've got.

Used to be bobski, member since '01