Originally Posted by 1minute
Did it take 3 riles to bring him down, or did one just park all the hardware there? Looks like a great time. Please offer up a little more "and there I was."

The story behind the 3 rifles. I killed the 1st bull with 1 shot. I hit the 2nd bull with a high shoulder shot. It broke the front leg---bull was on 3 legs. It was late in the afternoon getting dark. The bull went into the nasty thickets. We backed out & would wait till morning. That night at camp---we had a big dinner & some fine South African wine. Bossie, my PH/Guide want to turn in but his wife Henrietta want to stay up & talk. She & my wife hit it off. Anyways we stayed and had a couple more glasses of wine. About 2 AM---we were awaken by lots of loud voices & that African talk the blacks use. We didn't think to much about----I thought it was the blacks coming back with the 1st bull. At 6 AM---Bossie knocks at my hut. He's shaking & crying. I ask him what's the matter. He says that Henrietta passed away while in bed with him. He said she was having problems breathing & then she's gone.

His heart is broken but we have a wounded bull that needs to be dealt with. We decided that it would be wise to get another PH to go with us. I told Bossie to take care of his wife but no he had to take care of the client. The other PH came & we went after the bull. We weren't sure on how Bossie or I could handle the situation if it got ugly with the bull.

We tracked the bull most of the morning. He would get ahead of us & lay down. Then we would bump him out of his bed. This went on & on. The bull headed up hill into some really nasty thick stuff. We thought this was it. He would come down the hill like a freight train. I stayed back with the trackers. Bossie & the other PH went ahead. Less than 5 minutes, the bull is seen standing up looking back. They both shot. The bull lunges forward. One bullet clips the bull's hip-----he's down. As we come up on him his eyes get as bid a saucers----he wants to get at us. 1 more shot thru the boss ends it. My original shot was just a little high---it broke the shoulder & clipped the top of both lungs. Both PH's didn't what kept the bull going. I was using a 375 Ruger with 300 grain Nolser Partitions.

This was my best & worst hunting adventure.

Last edited by colorado bob; 06/10/20.