I have a couple of questions concerning setting up a new (old) SxS shotgun.

I just came across a VG condition Simson side-by-side: 12 gauge, 28 inch barrels with double triggers and extractors. It is what appears to be an exact clone of the Merkel Model 8. As I've always wanted a side-by-side, and as the price was too good to pass up, I took it home.

The gun fits me beautifully - my right eye centers just above the low rib with brass bead without thought as I press my cheek to the stock. Lockup is tight and very smooth. Metal has some pinpricks of rust but there are no cracks or splits in the stock. Both barrels shoot to the same point, roughly 4 inches high at 20 yards. It weighs a touch above 7 lbs.

My gunsmith is going to refurbish the gun - new case colors (bone and charcoal) on the receiver, re-blue the barrels, redo the stock with a satin oil finish.

But before I turn it over to him, I have to decide on a couple of sticky points.

First, as this is a 50+ year old German shotgun, the barrels are typically choked full and extra full. How far do I open them up? I'll be using it for grouse and quail in the desert areas of northern Nevada. I'm planning on using fairly light loads with no more than 1 oz of lead and a max charge of 2 3/4 dram, trying to keep velocity a bit below 1200 fps. I may go as light as 7/8 ounce of lead, if I can find it in a factory load (I don't reload).

Second, the shotgun needs a recoil pad. Even with reduced loads, it will be nowhere near as comfortable to shoot as my Miroku 20ga O/U or my Benelli M2 12ga. There are dozens of pads to choose from, and I'm baffled. This is not a target gun, it is a field gun, and I need something that won't snag on my clothing during a fast mount and a quick shot. My gunsmith just says to pick up a grind-to-fit that I like and he will take care of the rest.

Third, the triggers seem a little heavy - but that may just be me. I don't do a lot of shotgun shooting, and my rifle triggers are all set up at 3.5 lbs. What breaking weight should the triggers have for the hunting I'm going to do?

These are my guesses, but I've never owned a SxS before, so perhaps you guys could offer a little advice: 1. right barrel Skeet or I/C, left barrel Light Modified. 2. Pachmayr Decelerator Sporting Clay Pad. 3. 4 lbs right barrel, 5 lbs left?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke