Originally Posted by Phoneman
Don't forget about the old TC big Boars. Found one last year and put it in a renegade stock with set triggers. Very nice shooter.

That would be pretty cool. My first NIB ML was a .58 Big Boar. It had issues. It would fire the first 3 shots reliably, 4th shot would hang fire but generally go off, and the 5th would not fire. I could make it 100% reliable if I gave it a squirt of CO2 from a silent ball discharger between shots. Pretty damned sure there was some kind of "barnacle" left behind from manufacturing that was collecting soot and clogging up the works. I sold the gun. After a few years of .58 withdrawals, I ordered a TC Renegade in .58. Unfortunately, it had the QLA system and it would not shoot anything accurately. Dinner plate groups at 50 yards. I tried conicals, I tried PRB, I tried sabots. I tried FFg and a couple grades of Pyrodex. Remington, CCI, and RWS caps. Didn't matter.

I've moved away from .58 but I'd love to go back if I could find the right gun. Reboring a Renegade or Renegade Hunter would be a good path.

Someone mentioned .40 .. in the mean time, I'm shooting a fairly worn out .45 Seneca. I have a old .40 from the 1840s but it is too heavy to lug around. A .40 cal replacement barrel for the Seneca would be fun. In my state, .40 is legal for deer, .50 for elk, so I wouldn't be giving up anything going from .45 to .40 'cept recoil.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...