A few days ago I tested three different .44 loads: .44 Russian, my ".44 Special +P", and .44 Magnum. Primers were all Winchester Large Pistol. All bullets used were coated cast lead SWC Keith style 240 grain. Gun used for firing all loads was a 4.25 inch barrel S&W M-69 .44 Combat Magnum. Results were:

.44 Russian - 4.2 grains Titegroup - average of 25 rounds fired - 744 FPS average

".44 Special +P" - 7.7 grains Universal - average of 20 rounds fired - 961 FPS average

.44 Magnum - 10.1 grains Universal - average of 25 rounds fired - 1125 FPS average

Accuracy was very good with all loads. The Russian load had very mild recoil. Frankly, I had hoped for and expected an additional 75-100 FPS for the Russian load.

Note that the ".44 Special +P" load is not an officially recognized load and should not be used in pre-1950s era .44 Special handguns, nor in any Charter Arms .44 Special chambered arms.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."