ThomsonJ, If I wanted one 1) bullet for everything, especially if “larger” big game were on the menu.....it “would not” be a highly frangible bullet!!! At the velocities you will obtain, tissue damage/bloodshot meat will be excessive on “smaller” big game and you may experience inadequate penetration on “larger”, thicker-skinned, heavy boned “large” big game. If you “only” take broadside shots, and have very good bullet placement.....the “thin jacket” bullets will do fine. However, you may be very dissatisfied on a “raking” or misplaced shot! When I first started hunting “large” big game (elk, moose, bear), with a thin jacketed bullet at much lower velocities than you, the performance was at best....dismal! With the aforementioned broadside shot, death was near immediate, on a shot needing a long wound channel ......very poor results! Just my findings and opinion! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/19/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024