I just got one done yesterday myself. The stump grinder looked just like the O.P.'s. It was a bald cypress that I dropped last summer against the neigbor's fence and between my garage and house. It was 55' tall and 23" dbh. Stump on the other hand was about 4' X 6' and the edge of it was under the neighbor's fence and enveloped a post.

When I lived in TN, I had a big black locust stump and about a dozen smaller stumps in my yard that I mowed around for 7 years. The black locust I doused in oil numerous times over the years and lit on fire from time to time. Never did burn it out, in fact barely put a dent in it, let alone rotting out. Just before I put the property up for sale, I hired a guy I knew with a stump grinder for $100 and cleaned all that up in about 1/2 an hour. Kicked myself in the butt for not doing that 7 years sooner.

At my current house, I dug up two decent sized stumps myself a few years ago. One took 1/2 day, the other about 3 days. Decided I was NOT going to spend weeks digging and cutting up this bald cypress stump. Talked to the neighbor, took the fence sections down, stump guy finished in about 15 minutes including two sections of roots that were about 1' X 6', I put the fence sections back up and cleaned up the mess. Took me about 3-4 hours. Cost me $200, but it was well worth it for the amount of labor I would have had in it.

Last edited by bhemry; 06/20/20.