Originally Posted by WTF
I agree, just regular 280 Rem

Sounds like you’ve BTDT too. I have one AI in .257 Roberts. I get 200-300 FPS gain out of it. However, I didn’t realize there was an RCBS version of improved. If I had it to do over again I might go with it because the sharp shoulder on the Ackley version has caused feeding problems. The RCBS version has less angle on the shoulder and according to an old Hornady loading manual shows to get about the same gain without the feed problems.

Also, I don’t know if I’d go with the .280 Improved at all. I have a regular .280 and I don’t see that much gain with the improved version over the standard .280 Remington. In view of possible feeding or ejection problems with no more gain than I've seen with the improved verson, I think I’d stick with the standard chambering. If you want more performance the WSM or the standard Remington Mag will give you all you need. I like the idea of the WSM because it doesn’t have a belt and it’s performance is so close to the Rem. Mag. it might be worth going with it. And in the Zastava action you have plenty of room to seat bullets long. If he’s worried about whether he’ll have feeding problems his gun smith can give him advice on that. Some gun makers don’t offer a short action and everything is chambered on their one length action.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/20/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!