I was gifted two ceramic kitchen knives by a good friend who I don't want to offend.

Unfortunately, she isn't particularly knowledgeable about knives, and both of these no-name knives have pretty much a mediocre edge (although they don't get dull, they are not truly sharp).

When I tried to remove the white skin from a pork tenderloin with the larger of the two knives, it was a pretty tough job. When I finished, the pork tenderloin looked like it had been run over with a lawnmower, and I wasted quite a bit of meat.

I have a good set of Japanese water stones for my woodworking, but they are nice and flat and that is the way I want to keep them so I'm loathe to use them on a blade as hard as a ceramic one.

I also have an assortment of DMT diamond hones ranging from one so coarse that you'd use it to sharpen said lawnmower blade, to really fine grit.

However, I don't want to shorten the life of my DMT hones either -- they are pretty expensive too. Can I sharpen these ceramic knives on diamond stones without shortening the life of the stones?

I've done some searching on the 'net and found lots of contradictory advice.

I now turn to the 'Fire, hoping that somebody has actual experience sharpening ceramic knives.

Perhaps the ceramic knives can't be sharpened to shaving sharpness? Am I wasting my time trying to improve the factory edge?

John