I am going to do a little work on a vacation day. As the recreational boating safety program manager, one of my greatest concerns is paddle sports safety. 15 years ago, canoe, kayak and paddleboard fatalities comprised about 12 percent of the annual recreational boating fatalities. That number is about 23% right now. With big box stores mostly sold out and specialty retailers sold way low, there are a lot of new paddlers on the water.

Wearing a PFD would prevent about 80% of paddlesports fatalities. If you are like me, you don't like the confining, heat retaining nature of a typical life vest. I started using CG approved manual inflatable belts. They are so comfortable, I forget I am wearing one. I have loaded my kayak into the truck and started driving home, then realized I still had it on. The offer the absolute lowest level of protection in a PFD, but I like my chances of preventing the need for one in the first place, so it's a good spot for me in the compromise between protection and wearability.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/stearns-manual-inflatable-pfd-belt/ Not recommending this particular model or this particular vendor. Just an example.

How many of you have any identifying markings on your paddlecraft? You, the taxpayers, spend MILLIONS of dollars a year when paddle craft are found adrift and no identifying markings are on them. This initiates a long and drawn out search effort. I will send any of you who want them some ID labels that you can fill in with a paint pen or permanent marker and some other items in a care package if you will to PM me your address. I won't be in the office until Tuesday, so I'll get them out then.

A paddle craft is a vessel and as such has to meet certain equipment carriage requirements. In most jurisdictions a PFD and sound producing device (like a referees whistle) are required. The whistle is required by the navigation rules. If you operate at night you have to have lighting that meets the requirement. If you operate at night in large coastal water bodies or offshore, you will likely have to have flares as well.