22 Hornet loaded with the 40g Speer spire point(high velocity bullet) does not wreck cat or fox hides. Also, this bullet by it's design, can be seated to touch the lands in most hornets I have had. I used AA1680 powder which produces excellent accuracy, but not the fastest velocity.

You can also reload the 40g speer spire point with Blue Dot in a 223, and at 2600 fps seems to be the magic number for saving hides with a max velocity of blue dot in my rifle being around 3200 fps which did tear up hides a little.

Today, if looking for a good cat rifle, I would go with a Rem SPS stainless, load the Blue Dot load with the 40g Speer spire point, call it done...lots of plus' to going down this road. The Rem sps Stainless is a very accurate rifle and the 12 twist will help the bullet NOT Blow up, unlike an 8 or 9T is more prone to do.

I have shot a lot of cats and foxes with a 22 WRM using 40g Winchester HP, and a hit behind the diaphram may mean a lost animal as they can still breathe. My shots varied from 10 feet to 150 yards as a rule of thumb. Cats love bird sounds.