Originally Posted by muffin
Originally Posted by EdM
In normal times I go a handful of times per year. I have found some pretty good deals from non-dealers. In the past couple of years it's been consignment guns from small gun shops. Last week I found a nice piece priced right at a pawn shop.

Pawn shops can be interesting...

Guy had an old Veterlli on the wall, I asked to look at it, said 'how much', he says '$1200', I says 'It's not worth half that', he says 'OK, I'll take $600', I say 'I said it's NOT worth half that'..... I ended up trading a bolt action sears 16ga and $80 IIRC.... He pissed and moaned next time i was in, He thought the 16 was a 12ga....

In a local pawn shop last week with my BIL, he was looking at a shotgun, I showed him that the stock had cast-off, Pawn owner comes and takes the gun, looks down it, sees the 'bent' stock and starts ranting and raving about how he missed the bum stock............. I said relax, it's a feature not a flaw............ he had never heard of Cast Off...... I said 'that'll be $20, it's worth more now' ...... he didn't pay!!!

You can find some good ones at pawn shops.

Right time , right place.
5 major planets line up.