Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I've used the old US military issue wool pants for hunting and they worked very well. Pair them with some silk or other lightweight long johns and they keep you nice and warm.

I agree. My Korean war Shirt is one of my favorites.
I thought the pants would be comparable. Looked a long time for them. Warm, Odorless, quiet and breathable are good qualities for letting white tail get close.
Yes, Sitting still at a stand can get cold without the right layers. One reason I got ticked off about the bugs is that I've worked hard to keep moths away from my vintage woolrich, bomber and Finnish jackets, Marino base layers and socks, alpaca clothes. That's why I don't normally buy used wool.

Plus, they make great insulation against propane heaters. Old timers here will understand...

How true, my Dad understood and made sure I learned that one day.
He caught his polyester clothes on fire working around a fire once. Fortunately he got them off before they got beyond second degree burns... maybe. The polyester sticks to skin like napalm. He mentioned it in passing. Then the teachable moment when a kid actually listens to dad, he showed me the burns. It would have put anyone else in a hospital. He and Grandpa were the toughest men I've known.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/30/20.