Thanks HuntnShoot,

You sound like you've done this before smile I appreciate it.

Any particular pistol powder you'd recommend?
Thanks!

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by CaptArab
Thanks fellas, I try appeciwte the replies.

When I say "plink* I mean at the most a couple dozen rounds- I've got plenty of 223, 308, etc for high volume.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out wrt hunting loads.
In hunt a lot with 223 and 243.
Those need an expensive expanding bullet to ethically kill dear like a black hills tipped match king or nosler balstic tip.

Can I ethically kill dear with any ol hard cast or jacketed cheap bullet out of the big ass 45/70?

Itose Berry's look cheap enough for lotsa fun if they'll put the Bambi's down sans tracking.

Thanks for your personal experience plainsman.

I disagree that you need "expensive expanding bullets" to kill deer with 223 or 243, but that isn't the subject at hand (55gr Hornady PSP w/cannelure is your friend).

Yes, you can kill pretty much everything on the continent with "any ol hard cast or jacketed cheap bullet out of the big ass 45/70", but that doesn't mean you don't have to give it some thought.

I've never tried the Berry's in 45/70, but I have seen the Berry's 158gr RNFP plated on a deer out of a 357 rifle. There was obviously not much expansion based upon the exit hole, but the bullet broke a rib and made a surprising wound channel basically broadside on a big doe. She hobbled maybe 50 feet.

Shooting for bone would have been a better idea. That's what I'd suggest on deer with cast or non-expanding bullets. With lighter weight expanding bullets (and even the big 400gr jacketed FP) it isn't required, but will help if you don't want to do any tracking. The only way to guarantee no tracking is some version of a CNS shot anyway. Low chest shots can sometimes shut them down, but if they don't die right there, the blood trail is heavy in my limited experience. 45/70 bullets are designed around the pressure and performance of the Springfield rifle, and you can outdo that by quite a ways in the lever gun. The penalty is in recoil in the light-weight Guide Gun.

If you don't cast your own, buy some cheap cast from Missouri Bullets or the like, in the size that is the biggest they offer, because Marlin barrels run oversize. .460" works for me.

Don't be afraid to download a bit. You don't need 2000 fps with a 350 gr 46 cal bullet to kill deer (or elk, or moose, etc). I use pistol powders most of the time with cast bullets 300-400gr, and they shoot so well that I generally stay there. These bullets will likely shoot lengthwise through any deer. They don't need speed, and are hindered by it at some point.