Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by stxhunter
on the stones, I might spend several hours sometimes.

Geez. What kind of steel and what kind of stones? I am curious.

As for the OP you have a couple of choices. You can learn to sharpen on stones. Many good Youtube videos. Search for Cliff Stamp, Steel Drake, and Calton Cutlery. If you can't learn to sharpen from those guy's videos (which I doubt) maybe you just flat can't and need to move on. Up until youtube came along I could half azz sharpen on stones and used a Lansky jig. Then I learned the pieces of the puzzle I didn't know.

You can get a sharpening gadget. Jigs, mini belt sanders, pull throughs etc. Eventually you are going to need a way to "thin" or lay back the edge and some of these limit you on that. The better jigs are the KME and Edge pro.

Problem is that good sharpening stones and gadgets are expensive. So the third choice of something disposable could be just the ticket. I call em "glorified box cutters" but they certainly would solve your problem. Sell off your good knives, get a glorified box cutter and buy something else nice with the balance of the money.

A lot of knife makers offer a sharpening service. You can send a Buck in and they will sharpen it for you for a few bucks.....no pun intended.
one with nitro steel, a couple of s30v, and a couple of san mai 111 knives. the really hard Arkansas black stone is the one that takes awhile I just use the weight of the blade when I'm doing it.

This white and black speckled arkansas
been all over the planet.
Aint never had a drop of stupid oil on it. JMO....
Spit is all ya need....

STX nailed it.
At the end fine sharpening
Just the weight of the blade.
Takes me about 3 to 5 mins max to freshen an edge.
It's feel and angle and small forward going circles for me along the length then flipped over and repeat.
I dont lenght sharpen a blade on a stone in 1 pass, then flipped over and repeated.
YMMV....
Technique.....

Strop off on my blue jeans upper front thigh.
Many dont strop a blade to get rid of the micro curl on the last side passed.

What I call a dull knife others call sharp.
Seen it many times....
When ya hand a dude a sharp knife sometimes ya see a amazed look on their face when they get to work with it.

No pressure shaving is when ya know a blade is sharp.
Dont even wanna show the 1976 110.
That blade is evil sharp.
You could gut a man from his belly to sternum with that knife with one upward thrust and slice easy.
This is the modern buck 110 the ole lady found on the road walking grandog brady several weeks ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 07/04/20.