Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Dryfly,

Not fish, not your state.

I have had a top Game biologist in this state tell me that they
are sent to do population studies, and make reports and recommendations.

The Game Commission very frequently makes political, not scientist based
decisions. And seasons/limits do not reflect the science. All I will say, they might still be doing it, and need the job.

Dillon,

Totally get it, and I agree. I’ve seen it first hand, especially in Maine. The problem is that sometimes the recommendations they ignore aren’t in favor of the game. They favor the bag limits for the takers. Regardless of who they favor it is better than the alternative, which is no limits at all. Even with limits you’re going to get those people I alluded to before, who don't think the limits apply to them. They figure they’re the only ones who think that way so there no harm. Problem is, right after he takes thirty or or forty fish out of a brook, pond, or river, along comes another guy with the same mentality right behind him. Then another, then another. See what I mean? Can’t tell you how many guys I’ve run into on the water that would scratch their heads and tell you about all the fish they used to pull out of a given area but couldn’t figure out why the place had tanked.

That’s the issue. Lots of guys think they know better than the folks who actually study this stuff. We have examples of them right here. I think I hurt one or two feelings in this thread. Has nothing to do with how you fish. Has everything to do with how many you keep vs. how many the resource can absorb losing in a given time. Some places are over run with stunted fish and need liberal to no limits. Another can’t sustain any and maybe should be C&R. That’s what biologists get paid to figure out.

One of my favorite spots had a one fish limit, and was artificial lure only. Had a local population of some of the nicest wild ‘bows I’ve seen anywhere, along with huge native Brook Trout. Some moron gave the place place up on the net on an old fishing site and the place blew up. Used to find empty plastic worm containers all over the place. We begged the wardens to patrol it more often and they did the best they could but the spot was pretty a pretty long haul off the main onto logging roads to get to. They just didn't have the resources to patrol it effectively.

Went from a paradise to a Schitt hole within a couple years.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/05/20.