I’d have to respectfully disagree on the safety aspect of short barreled shotguns on the skeet range. I’ve been a tactical shotgun instructor for 20 years and skeet shooter for 30. I’ve looked down the muzzle of a lot more skeet shooters than I ever have tactical shooters. Out of a few hundred tactical shooters over 20 years, I’ve looked down the muzzle of two guns. The number of skeet shooter muzzles I’ve ended up peering down is easily five times that.

Most professionals (LEO, security, corrections) who shoot just need to be made to understand the expectations; muzzles up and down range, no team slings, only loaded gun is the one on whichever post is being shot. All others stay empty until on post.

I would much rather shoot skeet than shoot a tactical shotgun course. I am rather ambivalent toward it. Yes, I’ve taught it for two decades and am good at it. But skeet is way more fun to me.

I don’t have much patience with the weekend warrior, tacticool crowd. When I know I’m going to have some those type in a class I do my best look like Elmer Fudd just to mess with their minds a little. Or show up straight from the office in dress slacks and dress shirt. Sometimes even a tie. Tweaks their little 511 minds.

Shoot what you like on the skeet range as far as I’m concerned. Exercise good muzzle discipline and keep it unloaded till you’re on post.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.