Originally Posted by Dennis81082
What insurance do you guys use/have in case of deadly force?

Pros and cons?

CONS: It's a waste of money in most instances. Read the contract CAREFULLY before you buy. I'd even say take it to an attorney. Some common issues are:

(1) You don't always get to hire an attorney of YOUR choosing. The company probably brags that they have staff attorneys all over the country, standing by. They don't. When somebody needs a lawyer, the company searches for a lawyer in your area and contacts with him to provide services at the salary the company pays (which is quite low--like $50 per hour.) So you're likely getting a starving lawyer who needs any kind of work he can get. After all, the successful lawyers that are effective are not going to work for 1/6 of their normal rate. So, in a case where you're potentially facing a murder/homicide charge, you're getting a lawyer who took your case, because he couldn't get other paying work.

(2) If you take a plea bargain, you likely aren't covered. If the shooting you're involved in results in you facing a criminal charge, many of those insurance contracts only cover your legal fees if you're not convicted of anything. So maybe you shot a guy in the back as he was fleeing your home and you're facing some sort of aggravated assault charge. If you take a plea bargain for a misdemeanor and no jail (instead of risking several years in prison), you have to pay the company for the lawyer they've provided you at the agreed upon rate. The company might have paid the lawyer $50/hr but require you to reimburse them at $100/hr. Each company is different.

There are other concerns as well, but those are the big ones. If I need a lawyer for such a situation, I will get an attorney who knows his business that I hire myself.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.