Originally Posted by rblum100
Glad that you asked that question.... I am planning a safari next year. The PH is an advocate for DoubleTap ammunition indicating that the best .375 H&H round for leopard is made by DoubleTap using a 260 grain Nosler Accubond bullet. He indicates that they claim 3000 FPS. I wanted to get a sense as to whether this was possible without exceeding the SAAMI specification.

I think that I now have the answer, based on the posts as well as my checking the various bullet and powder manufacturers websites. Best reported is 2790 or so using RL15. Keep in mind that I have heard that manufactures is to back off so that pressure is 2% or so below max pressure when publishing their reloading data. However, a 2% nominal decrease from maximum pressure wont amount to a cup of warm spit in terms of muzzle velocity. So unless DoubleTap has found a supply of pixie powder that generates higher velocity without increasing internal pressures over SAAMI maximum they are either stretching the claim of 3000FPS or they are overloading those rounds. If course, it is always possible that the PH misheard the claimed muzzle velocity.

I will probably avoid using their ammunition in my .375.

I
I purchased some Double Tap 338 win 250 grain Partition Gold that was advertised at 2800 FPS. I choreographed them in a 29" kreiget b ass's reel and got less than 2600 FPS

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first