I think Ike had a fascination with Gettysburg very similar to quite a few of us. He hosted tours by Monty, Zhukov, and I believe Churchill, probably several others that I’m not aware of.
All agreed that Lee should have listened to Pete and went around the left of Round Top.
I had a fascination with Lee when I was young, but as I matured and read more of his campaigns, I formed the opinion that while he was a great strategist, his tenacity cost the South men and casualties that they ultimately couldn’t afford.
Joe Johnston was more willing to trade off territory for lives, (Jeff Davis hated this) much like Washington in the Revolution. Considering the disparity of resources, possibly a better strategy.
I hesitate to call Grant a genius, but study of his campaigns shows he had far better grasp of strategy and tactics than most generals on either side. He also understood the disparity of resources, and used that to shorten and end the war.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden